Select Page

The Original Welcome Hallway

3 years ago this week, we made a major step in making our “Welcome Hallway” look more… well…welcoming. The hallway has some beautiful paneling and portraits of pastors going back to Tabernacle’s founding in the 1890s. I’m not trying to be ironic, the paneling really is nice, but it looked very dated. For our community, we are pretty modern and forward thinking. The old look just didn’t fit who we were. I dug up this picture (and the next) from our church’s instagram account.

Spring Break 2014 Update

So, Spring Break 2014, we spent the week painting and modernizing. We went with a very light shade of gray and framed sermon series banners to put on the wall. This was a few months into my time at Tabernacle and I was just the Student Pastor. I had started doing some of our design work at Tabernacle, but the sermon banners we displayed were mostly “pre-Jeff.”

The original plan was to update the banners occasionally, but their construction and mounting method made it a difficult task. Also, the banners tended to stretch over time, leaving them looking not so slick.

Spring Break 2017 Update

The banners have been like that for three years… until today. We’ve had quite a few sermon series since March 2014. Not only was a change very overdue, but we stopped outsourcing our sermon graphics…and I began creating them. None of them were terrible, but many simply didn’t fit with our style anymore.

New Frames

I had spent quite a while trying to figure out a good way to update or upgrade what we had there. I wanted whatever was there to be sharp without being super expensive. I thought about printing on acrylic and mounting on standoffs, but that was really expensive. I thought about recovering the old frames with new banners, but that would look poor over time. The solution came to me when I was swapping out some pieces of a broken banner stand.

There is a conveniently placed channel in the back of the aluminum top and bottom pieces that are the perfect size to be slid over the head of a screw. I measured from the top molding for each bracket and was able to simply slide the brackets into place. After ensuring the placement was fine, I slid the aluminum off.

Each banner comes from our printer measuring 2.5 ft wide by 8 ft tall (well, 7 ft 11 inches). To ensure a top molding to bottom molding fit, I had to cut each banner to be 85 7/8 inches.

*Pro Tip* It is much easier to slide the aluminum pieces onto the banner while the banner is on the floor or the table, THEN mount them on the wall.

Onto the top aluminum, I added some felt furniture dots (that are for protecting furniture and for muffling and padding cabinet doors. On the bottom, I attached some command hooks. I put another command hook on the wall so the bottom could snap onto the wall but still be movable.

And here is the final product: